What is retirement
The perception of retirement living is changing, and more people are discovering what it is like to live in a friendly retirement community. Moving into a retirement development was already a growing in popularity but this has increased since the Covid-19 pandemic.
People increasingly want to be part of a supportive and compassionate community of likeminded and similar age people. Here are some benefits of living in a retirement community.
- The freedom to live independently in your own apartment
- No longer feeling lonely as there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with other people of a similar age and outlook
- Being able to take part in social activities such as cheese and wine evenings and coffee mornings, a meal out with friends and quizzes which many developments organise
Feeling safe and secure
- Most developments have secure door entry systems which help people feel safe, especially those living alone
- An on-site manager is on duty during the day to help with any issues and this gives our residents and their families additional peace of mind.
- A 24-hour emergency alarm system is installed in each apartment which is either a pull cord, button or personal pendant alarm and allows residents to call for help from their apartment at any time of the day or night
No property upkeep and maintenance
- The rent includes the maintenance and service charges
- An on-site manager takes care of the day to running of the development and is on hand to arrange maintenance and repairs, and to speak with residents about any issues they may have
- Communal areas such as the lounge and gardens are cleaned and maintained so all you have to do is enjoy them
Different types of properties
- Retirement Living – independent living, but with the peace of mind of having a 24-hour emergency alarm system in each apartment for peace of mind. Communal areas to socialise with friends and a guest suite for visiting family and friends, plus on-site manager to take care of the day to day running of the development
- Assisted Living – developments where additional support services are available such as onsite personal care services, which can help which tasks such as getting dresses, bathing, meal preparation, laundry and housework. Properties are also designed with additional shared facilities and bathrooms often with both wet room area and bathtub