Moving in checklist

Below are some of the things you might need to organise when you move into the property:

  • Council Tax registration – contact your local council
  • Contents Insurance
  • Utilities – Electricity and gas
  • Water – If this is not included in your rent
  • Telephone, Internet & TV subscriptions
  • TV Licence – Call 0870 241 6468 or visit www.tvlicensing.co.uk
  • Redirect mail if necessary – contact the post office

Inform companies of your new address and/or new telephone number including:

  • Banks
  • Buildings societies
  • Insurance companies
  • Mobile phone
  • Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Optician
  • Pharmacy
  • DVLA – for driving licence
  • Library
  • Pet microchip companies


Make sure you keep all your tenancy documentation in a safe and easy to find place, in case you need to refer to it. This includes:

  • Your Tenancy agreement or Occupational contract document (Wales)
  • Inventory and/ or check in report
  • EPC – Energy Performance Certificate
  • EICR – Electrical Installation condition report
  • Also, if applicable:
  • How to Rent document*
  • Deposit Scheme certificate
  • Pet permission
  • Mobility scooter permission Insurance documents Gas Safety certificate

*Assured shorthold tenancies only