Are you entitled to benefits?

Renting in Retirement Financial Benefits

Government Help for Households

The UK government is offering help for households during the cost of living crisis – visit the website to see what cost of living support you could be eligible for

As well as your state pension there are some other benefits you may be entitled to that can support your living costs. Below are some of them:

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income, you may be able to claim money to help pay your rent. This will be restricted by the LHA rate (Local Housing Allowance) in your area. If you are under state pension age you can apply for Universal Credit instead.

Council Tax Support / Reduction

Help for people on low incomes to pay their council tax. Each local authority has their own Council Tax Support scheme.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is extra money for pensioners who are on a low income to bring their weekly income up to a minimum amount.

Winter Fuel Payment

A one-off, tax-free payment of between £100 and £300 made during the winter to help with heating costs.

Attendance Allowance

An additional monthly payment for people aged 65 or over who have care needs.

Help and advice

These charities can offer further help and advice to ensure you are getting what you are entitled to:

Turn 2 Us – National charity which provides financial support and information to help people get back on track.
Helpline: 0808 802 2000

Entitledto.co.uk – Free, anonymous benefits calculator to find out what you could claim.

Citizens Advice Bureau – Free advice on benefits, work, money, legal issues & more.
Advice Line: 0800 144 8848 (England) 0800 702 2020 (Wales)

Age UK – Dedicated to helping everyone make the most of later life.
Advice Line: 0800 055 6112